Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products may sound like a business book, and it is, but if you want to know why you get addicted to things like checking email or visiting Facebook for hours, then you’ll want to listen to this interview with author Nir Eyal.
Nir has sold two companies in Silicon Valley, is the go-to person for companies that want to create ethical habit-forming products, and is at the forefront of the intersection of psychology, technology, and business.
Nir is a regular contributor to Psychology Today, Techcrunch, The Huffington Post and has a wildly popular blog called Nir and Far. Nir and I discuss the following:
- How being an overweight child and not feeling in control shaped his life
- Why he is so interested in habit-forming tech
- How loneliness and feeling disconnected is become a “norm” for many people
- How he has overcome that feeling (my husband and I are taking a cue and do the same thing Nir and his wife are doing)
- How to build a habit
- Why he loves running (this may surprise you!)
- How to read articles and get your exercise in at the same time
- How he puts tech in its place
We discuss the following resources:
Serena talks about how to avoid bloating and flatulence if you’re upping your fiber intake. (Side note: This really works!)
Her top recommendations include the following:
Bloating from Fiber
Fiber-rich foods include legumes, veggies, fruits, and flax.
- Try cooking these foods or including them in smoothies
- Increase your intake slowly.
- Drink 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces of water.
- Don’t drink liquids with meals.
2017 is the year of the Flourishing Experiment! If you’d like to join a group to help you with your habits and resolutions, or create a Flourishing Experiment yourself, reach out to Kari at Kari@TheRunningLifestyle.com for more information.
Click HERE to receive special gifts and to be part of Team The Running Lifestyle Show.